“Just write every day of your life. Read intensely. Then see what happens. Most of my friends who are put on that diet have very pleasant careers. ” ~Ray Bradbury
That quote came in an email today from Dean of the Sea Change Program on developing the daily habit of writing every day. Every day? As in today, Sunday? Mother’s Day?
The key for me is to make progress towards the every day goal and I’m not going to beat myself up over having to postpone or miss a day or two now and then.
Progress writing is about moving forward. Building over time upon the daily habit. Here’s what I’ve accomplished in the first 12 days of May:
- Written something 11 out of 12 days
- Published 6 blog posts
- Read a couple dozen or more other blogs and posted links and wrote thoughts about them every day on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook
- Researched and wrote the intro and outro for a podcast
- Recorded a podcast (this is like speak-writing) with a guest expert
- Created a draft of a post on how to find, subscribe and write ratings and reviews of podcasts in iTunes
- Recorded a video tutorial on doing the above that I will include with the written article
I will keep making progress on this fantastic start. I will keep plugging away, doing the best I can and see what happens. Who knows, maybe I’ll have a pleasant career of it.
Word by word, day by day, month by month…progress writing.
Happy Mother’s Day by the way to all you moms out there!